Tayler Shannon, MA, LPC, LCAS, NCC, RN
Therapist / Mood Disorder and Addictions Specialist
336-288-9190 ext. * 2
Tayler Shannon was born and raised in New York, and moved to North Carolina to be closer to family and to complete nursing school.
Tayler has worked with clients from ages 18 to 92, and has felt privileged to hear about their deepest concerns, thoughts, feelings and beliefs while they address mental health and/or substance use issues in their sessions. She uses a non-judgmental, optimistic and accepting approach with each client, and pulls from her knowledge of various therapeutic modalities, life experiences and previous therapeutic work, as well as her considerable and continued professional training. Creating a safe and confidential environment where individuals can discuss sensitive topics is one of the first things Tayler works on with a new client. It is Tayler’s hope that all her clients will find safety and understanding, in addition to an increase in self-awareness, with her at Tree of Life Counseling.
Tayler graduated from Fayetteville Technical Community College with an Associate’s Degree in Applied Science (Nursing) in May 1996 and became licensed as a Registered Nurse in July 1996. Wanting to learn more about hands-on pain relief, Tayler completed a therapeutic massage program and received a Certificate in Massage Therapy from the Medical Arts Massage School in Raleigh in 1999. She went on to earn a Bachelor’s Degree in Liberal Studies from Excelsior College in 2009 and a Master’s Degree in Mental Health Counseling from North Carolina Central University in 2012.
In addition to being licensed as a Registered Nurse, Tayler is a Licensed Professional Counselor, a Licensed Clinical Addictions Specialist and a Nationally Certified Counselor. Since 2011, she has been a therapist working with clients at TROSA (Triangle Residential Options for Substance Abuse in Durham, NC), a two-year residential substance abuse therapeutic community; at a methadone clinic affiliated with Partnership for a Drug-Free NC in Winston-Salem; and at the Peace Haven Internal & Family Medicine Clinic in Winston-Salem. She most recently worked as a Registered Nurse at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.
Accepted Insurance Plans:
- Champ VA
- Value Options
- Out of Network Benefits
- Monday: 10:00am – 1:00pm / 2:00pm – 6:00pm
- Tuesday: 10:00am – 6:00pm
- Wednesday: 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Thursday: 10:00am – 6:00pm
- Friday: 10:00am – 4:00pm
- 18 and above
Tayler has special interest and training in the following areas:
- Depression/Anxiety/Mood Disorders
- Anger Management
- Alcohol Moderation or Abstinence/Sobriety
- Quitting Smoking/Tobacco Use
- Substance Misuse and Relapse Prevention/Recovery
- Adjustment Issues and Life Transitions
- Family/Relationship Issues
- Grief and Loss, including Survivors of Suicide
- Issues involving Self-Esteem, Shame and Guilt
- Issues concerning Veterans and the Military
- Providing support for clients who want to work on Lifestyle Changes, such as breaking bad
habits, defining new goals, improving overall health, dealing with medical/physical disorders,
- School/Work Stress and Career Issues
- Weight Management and Body Image Issues